Cadillac XT5 Refinements Broaden Appeal for 2020
Revised design cues, enhanced technologies and
new propulsion choice for the brand’s global best-seller
August 13, 2019
BY MATTHEW MEEK
DETROIT – Cadillac’s global best-selling XT5 is revamped for 2020, with a new turbocharged engine, enhanced technologies and revised design cues that coalesce in distinctive trims that offer customers greater choice in matching this luxury crossover to their personality. With more than 40 updates the 2020 Cadillac XT5 raises the bar, delivering an exhilarating driving experience paired with the sense of solidity and functionality of an SUV.
The XT5 joins the all-new XT6 three-row crossover and the recently launched, segment-topping XT4, along with the iconic Escalade, to give Cadillac one of the industry’s freshest lineups of luxury crossovers and SUVs.
“Cadillac’s global momentum continues to accelerate with new and compelling products such as the revamped 2020 XT5,” said Steve Carlisle, Cadillac’s President. “Along with additional new crossovers and sedans, including the XT6 and CT5, the brand is redefining itself for a new generation of customers for whom luxury and technology are inextricably linked.”
The 2020 XT5 will follow the brand’s new global “Y” trim strategy, better meeting customer demand and sharpening its position in the Cadillac showroom.
The XT5 range starts with the well-equipped Luxury model, with Premium Luxury and Sport models offering distinctive takes on Cadillac design and driving dynamics. An emphasis on bright trim and contemporary décor defines the Premium Luxury model, while a darker, more aggressive appearance underscores the XT5 Sport. The XT5 features a new, bolder grille design, available in two textures that reflect the new personas. A Platinum package, delivering the pinnacle of technology and most sophisticated interior in the lineup, is offered with each trim level.
Enhanced driving dynamics provide two distinctive expressions of the Cadillac driving experience. The Luxury and Premium Luxury models are tailored for confidence-inspiring control that keeps you connected to the road while providing a retreat from road disturbances. Sport model is tuned for a more performance-oriented experience, with quick steering and more aggressive chassis tuning that provides better body control without sacrificing ride isolation.
The vehicle’s exterior now features standard LED headlamps with IntelliBeam on all models. Additionally, the lower front and rear fascia have been updated, while a new 18-inch wheel design is standard on Luxury and Premium Luxury and a new 20-inch wheel design is available. XT5 Sport features new 20-inch wheels standard.
Infotainment and driver assistance technologies take center stage for model year 2020. The technology woven into the XT5’s interior is enhanced to elevate its functionality and intuitiveness, for a more seamless user experience. The 2020 XT5 now has over 20 available safety and driver assistance technologies.
The updates include:
- The latest Cadillac user experience interface1, with enhanced connectivity and personalization.
- Next-generation rotary controller with new jog functionality, which complements conventional buttons and touchscreen redundancy to offer more ways for users to interface with the system.
- One-touch phone pairing, with new Near Field Communication technology1.
- Next-generation 15-watt wireless charging2 and revised USB ports3, including the latest USB-C type, which offer fast charging and enhanced usability.
- Two new high-definition instrument cluster display options that provide crisp, vibrant graphics for easy, at-a-glance views.
- Higher-resolution display for HD Rear Vision Camera and HD Surround Vision
- Enhanced Automatic Parking Assist with Braking
- New Rear Pedestrian Alert
- Available Night Vision
The standard Cadillac user experience4 system features an 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen and available embedded navigation5. Connectivity features also include Apple CarPlay6 and Android Auto7 capability, Cadillac Connected Apps and Cadillac 4G LTE with an available Wi-Fi8 hotspot (includes 3GB/three-month data trial).
Comfort and Convenience
Refinements to the 2020 XT5’s elegant interior amplify its comfort, convenience and utility; and like the increased persona differentiation exhibited with the exterior updates, the interior changes offer more distinct expressions of Cadillac’s style for Luxury and Sport tastes.
Available highlights include:
- New interior color and trim themes, with greater differentiation among the trims. Each also incorporates a richer selection of authentic materials and coordinating décor — including a Jet Black/Kona Brown theme (additional-cost option) that includes premium leather seats, leather door trim and armrests.
- A new center console design offers enhanced storage solutions, redesigned cup holders and a wrapped bin at the front of the console that conveys a more tailored appearance.
- Heated front seats are now standard
- Revised 60/40-split rear seat functionality enhances convenience and utility.
- New available Bose® Performance Series sound system complemented by new metal speaker grilles further contribute to the XT5’s custom-tailored environment and exemplify its outstanding attention to detail.
- Enhanced acoustical treatments designed to improve quietness.
Propulsion & Driving Dynamics
Cadillac’s 2.0L Turbo engine joins the lineup as the new standard engine in the Luxury and Premium Luxury trims and complementing the existing 3.6L V6, which remains standard on Sport and available on Premium Luxury. Each engine is now backed by a nine-speed automatic transmission controlled via the next generation of Electronic Precision Shift.
The 2.0L turbo’s twin-scroll turbocharger and unique, three-step sliding camshaft help the engine optimize performance across the rpm band, for a greater feeling of on-demand power at all speeds. It is rated at an SAE-certified at 237 horsepower (177 kW) and 258 lb.-ft. of torque (350 Nm).
The 3.6L V6 is rated at 310 horsepower (231 kW) and 271 lb.-ft. of torque (367 Nm). Both engines employ technologies such as direct injection, camshaft phasing, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and automatic stop/start to optimize efficiency.
Luxury and Premium Luxury models feature revised front struts and driveline enhancements designed to improve ride comfort and road isolation. Distinguishing elements of the Sport model include standard dual-clutch Sport Control AWD with Active Yaw Control, Continuous Damping Control adaptive suspension, quicker steering ratio and 20-inch wheels.
Models with the 2.0L Turbo feature a new, electronically controlled braking system that replaces the conventional vacuum-assisted system. With it, a compact electric motor provides power braking assistance and enhances overall efficiency by reducing the parasitic engine drag incurred with a traditional vacuum booster. It also provides excellent response and feedback.